Silver Creek Methodist

Floyd County
|
Org 1869
|
Photography by Sam Ratcliffe

 

By Robin Boyd, May 1, 2005; edited by Olene Lloyd 7/2018

“On June 26, 1869, three acres ofland were given by Dennis Hills in the presence of the trustees of the Church: Noah Cornutt, R. U. Seagar, James Ashby, R. S.

Anthony, J. W. Brad.berry, J.M. Hunt and J. 0. Henderson.” The property on

which the Church now stands was given by Dennis Hills «for the use and benefit of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.” Other than the above information, the history is very limited. In October of 1909, the official Church records were

destroy-ed. A cyclone ( tornado?

)struck the home of Mr. Max J. Roberts, who was secretary of the Chmch at that time.

Some bf the old records that were recorded in the treasmer’s book from 1942 – 1950 contain interesting  items. From 1942-50, the Pastor’s salary was $10.00 per month. In December 1941, the church paid $7.50 to have the cemetery cleared off and $2.00 to have the yard cut in 1943. In 1942 a new stove pipe cost

$10. 50, and was replaced in 1946 by another stove pipe costing $11.50. The church paid $7.25 for a load of coal in 1948-49, and the janitor fee was $3.00. One of the last entries was on June 26, 1950, in the amount of $12.00 for the Jones Piano Company repairs.

Through the years, there have been many interesting things happening to the Silver Creek Methodist Church.

In 1949 the Church had a new heating system installed in the Chmch, rather than using a coal heater.

During this time, there was much discussion among the members to pmchase a Church marker. Due to the debt of the new heating system, it seemed impossible at the time. However, the situation was soon remedied when Mr. and Mrs. Paul Hunt presented the Church with the sign that now hangs in the Church front yard. On January 21, 1951, the Church lost a beloved member, Mr. Max J. Roberts, better known as ‘°Mr. Max.” He had been an active, faithful member of the Church, and his presence was greatly missed.

In June of 1951, the Church began a full program. Prior to this time, the Church was known as the ‘Ten O’clock Church.’ Each second and fourth Sunday, the

 

pastor of Lindale Methodist Church would come for one service. Now morning and evening services were held on the first and third Sundays of each month.

For many years both the Silver Creek Methodist Church and the Lindale Methodist Church cooperated with one another. Then the Lindale Church decided they wanted to “break loose.” The pastor of the Lindale Church could not give both churches the attention each one needed. The Silver Creek Methodist became

part of the Rome Circuit.

The Silver Creek Methodist Church and the Beech Creek Methodist Church were paired together. Each Church had services two Sundays a month. Due to this change, the Silver Creek Church had made quite a bit of progress.

Under the capable leadership of Pastor John Minte½ the Methodist Youth Fellowship (MYF) was organized. The MYF was one of the greatest things to happen. The young people showed more interest because they felt they had a part in the Church program. Mrs. T. W. Byars was counselor for the group, and Marlene served as president. The MYF undertook several projects, including participating in the Church Building Committee. The goal was to raise money to add new Sunday School rooms to the Church.

The first Women’s Society of Christian Service was organized in 1909, under the leadership of the pastor, Rev. Roper. Then it became known as the Lindale and Silver Creek Women’s Society of Christian Service (WSCS). Later a new group was organized, and it was known as the Silver Creek WSCS. There were nineteen charter members, with Mrs. E. L. Kizziah as president.

Later the Church was presented a gift by a very dear friend, Mrs. F. H. Schlapback.

She had a steeple built onto the Church. Her late husband worked several years for the railroad. The Brotherhood of the Central of Georgia Railroad presented Mrs. Schlapback with a bell in honor of her late husband. She, in                                                                                                                  had the bell hung in the belfry of the Church steeple.

In 1950 the Church membership was revised. Prior to the revision, there were 107 on roll. After the revision only 60 members were on roll. Sunday School had a total of 73 on roll at that time. Attendance was the highest the Church had experienced in quite a few years.

 

3

 

 

 

 

 

Bits and Pieces of Information

  •  

Mrs. Sara Kizziah has information stating that the Church began in 1892,

with J. A. Sewell serving as the first pastor.

  •  

The sanctuary was the only building for many years. Aside from being used

for worship services, it was also used for Sunday School classes, by curtaining off each comer of the sanctuary. There were two aisles, with rows on each outside wall, as well as a double row down the middle of the room,, with a divider slightly higher than the pews between the two sections.

  •  

In the late 1950s, construction on the brick Sunday School building began.

The dedication was in 1961, while Charles Driggers was pastor. For a time there was a breeze-way connecting the two buildings. The choir loft was added later and the breezeway was enclosed, connecting the two buildings.

  •  

The last of the above-mentioned renovations were completed in the early

1960s. Also in the 1960s, Willard Nixon, who was raised in Silver Creek, purchased the park across the creek at auction and gave it to the Church. Willard was a former Major League baseball player, having played with the Boston Red Socks.

  •  

In 1965 we became an “Every-Sunday Church,” meaning we no longer

shared a pastor with Beech Creek Methodist.

  •  

In 1966 the Church purchased a small mobile home and placed it on a

concrete pad beside the creek. It was used as a parsonage for several

years. The mobile home is no longer there of course. However you can still find the concrete pad that was in front of the mobile home.

  •  

A bridge was built over the creek to the park in the early 1970s. The

cemetery was cleaned and fenced. Lewis Puckett purchased several sheep and put them in the fenced cemetery to keep the grass short.

  •  

For the year of 1973, the Church Budget was $8,778.60. In a letter to

church members dated July 22, 1973, then church treasurer Betty Shiflett wrote, “For the first time in approximately 10 years, an increase was given in the pastor’s salary of $10 weekly.” {Pastor Larry Lloyd’s salary and travel expenses were budgeted at $2,600 for the year.}

Just as a point of interest, it

was understood that in times long past, the Church budget would  be set. Afterwards the members would be contacted and asked to give their fair share.

 

  •  

During the mid-1970s, the interior of the sanctuary was remodeled while

Larry Lloyd was pastor. A center aisle replaced the double aisles. Church members purchased new pews in honor or memory of loved ones. Luther Naves, member of the church along with his wife Caroyln, installed the parquet floors. The stained glass windows were a gift from Lasco and Sara Kizziah.

  •  

In 1978 the creek flooded and the water came up over the sides, across the

road and up to the bottom step of the Sunday School rooms back exit.

  •  

In the late 1980s, the United Methodist Women (a change from the earlier

“Women’s Society of Christian Service) carpeted the sanctuary aisles and the alter area and had the pews padded.

  •  

Under the guidance of Pastor Dennis Ledford in the late 1980s, the Church

began construction of a new Fellowship Hall. The new building was designed to also serve as much needed Sunday School Space. The addition was completed shortly after Rev. Warren Huddleston became pastor in 1990. The Fellowship Hall was dedicated to the Glory of God on September 15, 1991.

  •  

The UMW installed chandeliers and sconces in the sanctuary, and the

Church installed fluorescent lights in 1994.

  •  

Paulette Burkhalter gave the choir chairs in 1995 in memory of her parents.

Paul and Edna Burkhalter were faithful, long- ime members of the Church.

  •  

Also in 1995, the Church bought the Mansel property in front of the Church.

Now it is a black-top parking lot. The park across the creek was dedicated to Willard Nixon in a ceremony conducted by Larry Lloyd. A sign was erected in the park.

  •  

During 1996, the Churched was blessed to be able to purchase a new,

electric Yamaha Clavinova to replace the piano that had been used for many years. The fund-raisers to purchase it were spear-headed by members of

the choir.

  •  

Hazel Colquitt gave the money to purchase the triangle lot beside the

parking lot in 1966. The ladies of the Church, with the help of Elmer Beard and other men of the Church, turned the eyesore into a beautiful park, with flowers, trees, a birdbath, and an angel statue.

  •  

On April 18, 1997, the triangle park was dedicated to Mrs. Colquitt, the first

member on the chronological roll. A plaque was placed in the park in her honor. Dorothy Duke asked for the privilege of naming the park. She

 

donated the material and the “Colquitt Comer” sign was completed through the usual fine workmanship of Rayford Leroy.

  •  

The Church choir, started in 1957 by Joyce Farrer and Nancy Ingram, was

and integral part of the Church. What started as a children’s choir became an adult choir. There have been several hardworking choir directors through the years, including Pastor Lee Smollar.

+ Read More