Flat Shoals Primitive Baptist
The following is a partial history of the Flat Shoals church found on Findagrave.
“Shortly after the organization of Troup County, a stalwart band of religious and God-fearing people, desiring to promote and build in this community, a church devoted to the true worship of God, congregated themselves together, twelve in number, and organized on the 11th day of February 1829, this church, known as “Smith’s Meeting House”. The name was changed to “Flat Shoals Meeting House” on February 2, 1830. The land on which to build the first house of worship was purchased and the deed secured in the month of August, 1833. Although the power was invested in the Deacons to build, or arrange to build, a house of worship in the year 1832, the house was erected sometime between the years 1832 and 1836 and was located about seven or eight hundred feet west of the present building………. The original building was only one half the size of the present building. The rear portion of the church was at one time a meeting house at Old Troup Factory. It was moved, intact, and attached to the original building. The ceiling was hauled, by wagon, from the mountains of North Georgia and the sills which support the church are hand-hewn from heart timber.”
The graveyard at Flat Shoals is across a road on top of a prominent rise. Many of Troup County’s early settlers are interred here as well as veterans of the Civil War that managed to survive and some who didn’t. The number of deaths and casualties in the war was a demographic disaster that devastated families all across America but particularly so in the south. It is worthwhile to read a short paragraph of some of these veterans represented in the photos below. Almost all of these served in Co. B of the 60th Georgia Infantry and they suffered terrific casualties in the war. The 60th Georgia Infantry Regiment was a part of the Lawton-Gordon-Evans Georgia Brigade (so named for its three principal commanders). It was one of the premier brigades of Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia, serving with distinction from the Seven Days battles around Richmond (May-June 1862) until its surrender at Appomattox Court House (April 9, 1865). At Appomattox, approximately 750 officers and men of the Georgia brigade were surrendered to Federal authorities, all that was left of a brigade that mustered nearly 7,000 men three years before, and that had been reinforced during the course of the war by another 800 men from the9th, 12th, and 18th Georgia Battalions.
The church is still active after serving the community for almost 200 years. We are grateful that this significant part of Georgia history has has been preserved for future generations.