The little farm town of Brinson was named after Simeon Brinson who founded and built it, along with two of sons Jason and Homer. The town was placed on the National Register in 1985, and is well worth a visit. Simeon served as a private with the Fifth Georgia Cavalry and moved to the town that became Brinson after the war. He and later his son Jason farmed large acreage and ran the principal cotton warehouse as well as the town’s only bank. Mr. Brinson served as mayor of the town in 1907 and 1913-14 and two terms (1909-12) in the Georgia General Assembly.
From the church history – “This church began as the Spring Creek Mission and was organized in 1867 in a field with 20 members. Rev. Willis M. Russell, a local preacher, was the first pastor and served for the four years the church was known as Spring Creek. The first building was constructed of logs and had no window shutters or doors. The church was next named Mt. Zion, and at some time, a second building of frame construction was built. During this period, the people came to church in wagons and buggies, and the ladies dismounted on a special “Stepping Stone”, hewn from a rock for this purpose. This stone has been moved to the present church yard. The present building was built in 1901; the pulpit and choir loft were remodeled and Sunday School room added in 1933.”
Brinson Methodist’s architecture and design would be characterized as “…a simple, single gable rectangular wood frame church just like many others in Georgia” were it not for its flamboyant “Carpenter Gothic” steeple’s design. A box steeple base rises from the steeply peaked roof. The open belfry is bounded by a flowing Victorian, open fretwork frame which provides supports for a protective screen. The final, metal-roofed steeple then rises to a point and is capped by handsome finial. This adornment announces to the visitor that this is a well-loved, “special” meetinghouse.
This entry vestibule is nestled into the front-middle of the church beneath the belfry tower. Its placement and design allows for a weather-protected, covered entry into the sanctuary.
After stepping through the wide double doors at its entry, a visitor to Brinson today is greeted by this welcoming view of the airy and bright sanctuary. 100+ year old, high-quality manufactured pews embrace the wide aisle that moves forward ending at the chancel. Because of its trussed-rafter design, no columns needed to hold up the ceiling are present to interfere with the lines of sight in the sanctuary. This roof design also allows the ceiling to rise cathedral-like making the space inside this plain, rectangular box even more imposing.
This view from the chancel provides the opportunity to appreciate the workmanship and quality design of the pulpit and apse area. We see elaborate and well joined frames, pedestals, moldings, wainscoting with top rail, apse pilasters and arch. The finish and design of the gently curving apse side walls, roof and rear walls is decoratively pleasing and satisfying. The wealth of this congregation at the turn of the century is apparent inside an outside this church building.
One of the things that adds to the airy and welcoming atmosphere present within this church are its many windows and the type of glass within each of them. There are four windows on each side of the sanctuary. These eight windows all contain four panes similar to the one shown hear. Their muted, mixed-pastel tinting softens the ambient daylight and helps generate a soft, warm glow. Panes such as these became extremely popular at the beginning of the 20th Century, and we can see why.
The church history stated that,”The pulpit and choir loft were remodeled and Sunday School Room added in 1933.” In this view we can see and appreciate the clever way the Sunday School room was added. The back loft is reached by the two staircases seen. Close examination of the back wall at the second level reveals three sets of closable doors. Behind these doors are the school rooms mentioned. And, each has access to outside windows for circulation. That explains why we see the four windows on the upper level of the church in the frontal view but see no windows at that level from within.
Brinson Methodist remains active even though there are few residents in the area. The parsonage at Brinson remains near the church, but the Pastor lives there only on weekends while he serves three churches in the area in rotation. We are pleased to recognize this significant rural church and salute those congregants that maintain it so well and lovingly.
Your tax-deductible donation to Historic Rural Churches will help keep history alive through digital and physical preservation efforts for Georgia’s rural churches, their history and the communities that support them.
Full Name *
Sign me up for the newsletter!
we are members of Union Methodist Church Bulloch Co. Ga. Wade Peyton Hodges was a founding member at Brinson Methodist as was his father at Union Bulloch.
It is truly a beautiful example of where we came from and a reminder why Tradition might be so important to the Methodist Denomination.
Thanks for sharing.
There is a church in Decatur county.. called Mars Hill Fire of Christ… address is Climax Ga.. it’s off old 262Old Climax Hwy… it was built in 1906.. I would love the history on this church…