Adgateville Baptist began as Hebron Primitive Baptist in 1812 on two acres of land donated by William Cleveland. Jasper County had been founded in 1807 with the name being changed to Jasper in 1812. Much of the early history of the church has been lost but the church prospered for many years along with the community of Hillsboro just down the road. In 1915 the church was reorganized as Adgateville Baptist and the present structure was built. Adgateville was named for H.L. Adgate, patriarch of a prominent agricultural family in the 1880’s.